Canelo Alvarez set to face Gennadiy Golovkin for a third time on September 17 - Ring News 24

Golovkin had Alvarez back-peddling for much of the second half of their first fight.

Undisputed super middleweight champion Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez 57-2-2 (39) will face Gennadiy Golovkin 42-1-1 (37) in a trilogy bout on September 17.

The 31-year-old Mexican superstar is returning to the 168-pound division following his unanimous decision loss to WBA light heavyweight champion Dmitry Bivol 20-0 (11) earlier this month. It was his first loss in almost nine years.

The history between Alvarez and Golovkin runs deep. Their first fight five years ago ended in a controversial split draw than many thought the now 40-year-old Golovkin deserved to win. In their rematch one year later Alvarez claimed a majority decision win.

Kazakh Golovkin is coming off a ninth-round knockout of Ryota Murata 16-3 (13) in Japan last month. It was his first fight in 16 months and the ring rust showed in the early going before he boxed himself into form by the mid-rounds.

The venue for Alvarez vs Golovkin III is yet to be determined but will likely be in Las Vegas, Nevada.

“I feel very happy and proud to be able to give the best fights and this fight won’t be an exception,” Alvarez said.

“I hope to see you on September 17,” said Golovkin.

“Let’s push ahead without going backwards,” said Eddy Reynoso. “A Mexican never surrenders, let’s push forward.

“The Canelo vs GGG trilogy is the biggest fight in boxing and I am delighted to get this made for September 17,” said Eddie Hearn.

“These are two men that bitterly dislike each other and want to end this incredible series with a blistering KO.

“I truly believe this will be the most thrilling fight between these two great champions and it will be fireworks from the first bell to the last man standing.”

“What a few weeks we have had on DAZN – the biggest women’s fight of all time, an absolute barnburner in Las Vegas, and now, the highly anticipated trilogy fight between the pound-for-pound king Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez and one of the biggest names in the sport Gennadiy ‘GGG’ Golovkin,” said Ed Breeze, EVP Rights, DAZN.

“The last two fights between these two have been up there with the very best this century and we look forward to broadcasting it to fight fans live and worldwide on DAZN.”

Alvarez had an immediate rematch clause in his contract with Bivol that he said he wanted to enact immediately following his defeat. Instead he has opted to face Golovkin for a third time before presumably returning to the light heavyweight division to face the 31-year-old Russian for a second time.

Bivol could face Joshua Buatsi 16-0 (13) next, who is coming off a decision win over Craig ‘Spider’ Richards 17-3-1 (10) last weekend.

“We’ve said it, man,” Buatsi said. “We want the world title next. I want to fight here for it. But listen, again, maximum respect to [Richards], man. I can’t give him enough credit. But we’ve made it clear. We’ve made it very clear. You know what it is. Eddie know what it is. Everyone knows what it is, man. My team and I, they’re there. We’re ready, man.”

Adblock test (Why?)



source https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=https://www.ringnews24.com/2022/05/27/canelo-alvarez-set-to-face-gennadiy-golovkin-for-a-third-time-on-september-17/&ct=ga&cd=CAIyGjM5YWU2NzNiY2UyZGJkMGI6Y29tOmVuOlVT&usg=AOvVaw0w-nR5v4zVfn2gMIFVnFU4

0 comments: